Gas fireplaces are affordable and very convenient to use, and they are also considered a cleaner and more efficient alternative to heating.
But could they be dangerous to your health? Unfortunately, yes, but not if you maintain them properly. Find out how they can harm you by reading on.
Are Fumes from Gas Fireplaces Harmful?
Yes, these flames are harmful to your health.
Gas fireplaces, which are not maintained properly with the required precautions, create incomplete combustion, producing carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is the major culprit causing lung diseases.
This gas from the fireplace contains carbon monoxide, which is hazardous to one’s health if inhaled and causes headaches and other issues in some people.
And as there is no vent to remove the fumes that cause this odor in ventless gas logs, the smell is stronger, increasing the health issues.
Note: Maintain the gas fireplace with care. If something fails on your gas fireplace, it can begin emitting carbon monoxide, creating illness.
Can Gas Fireplaces make you feel Sick?
Your experience using a gas fireplace makes you sick. Is that true, or is it just your thinking?
Ventilation is crucial for gas fireplaces. And as mentioned above, without proper maintenance and ventilation, they produce carbon monoxide, putting everyone in the room at risk. Symptoms such as dizziness, headache, nausea, shortness of breath, chest pain, and unconsciousness can be observed due to carbon monoxide.
So yes, they are capable of getting an individual sick.
Headaches due to Odor
When the main product, gas, is used, it emits an odor. This smell of burning gas can cause sensitivity, headaches, and dizziness.
There are a lot of questions regarding whether a gas fireplace triggers sinus problems or not. To end this confusion, let me clarify: it does not provoke sinus problems.
Apart from carbon monoxide poisoning, they do not create any major health issues or involve any byproduct that can cause sinusitis.
Carbon Monoxide Poising from Gas Fireplace
This is the most common problem when it comes to gas fireplaces.
When the fuels combust, they tend to produce carbon dioxide. But when there is no ventilation, or the fireplace isn’t properly maintained, it leads to incomplete combustion and thus produces carbon monoxide, causing poisoning.
Symptoms as a result of this include dizziness, headache, nausea, shortness of breath, chest pain, and unconsciousness. Also, there are numerous other side effects associated with a longer duration.
Note: Make sure to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. The fireplace must be properly maintained, and the room must have good ventilation.
Allergies due to Gas Fireplace
Gas fireplaces do not cause allergies, as they are powered by gas. They are a great choice to consider because they are safe and cleaner, especially for people with children.
How to Deal with Gas Fireplace Odor Headaches?
The first step would be to turn the gas fireplace off and move away from the possible gas source.
Most symptoms will be mild, and you won’t need medical attention. But if any of the above mentioned symptoms persist longer than expected, seek medical attention immediately. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
Is it normal to Smell little Gas from Gas Fireplace?
Yes, a little won’t be a problem.
They are designed in such a way that they are safe and efficient, so inhaling some amount won’t be a big deal.
There also can be gas leak so you need to perform some tests and then you can find out if that’s normal gas smell or there’s a gas leak.
If the fumes build up enough, they can cause headaches. But a well-maintained gas fireplace with good ventilation will not cause headaches in your home and is safe to use.